...being a (fictional) chronicle of an everyday teacher, from a school near you...

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Here we go again then...

So, it was the kids' first day back after the Christmas break.  Usual mixture of those who really didn't want to be there and whose heads were still basically on the pillow, and those who were pleased to be back because they'd got bored of being at home in front of a screen (yes!  there are some!) with parents whose festive fondness had disappeared with the advent of the New Year.

Most popular Christmas presents seem to have involved technology of some form or other - Kindles (maybe it'll encourage them to read!), mobile phones,Wiis, TV/DVDs (for those poor souls not yet in possession of their personal set), PSPs...My Dad always bemoans the fact that when he looks out on to the street on Christmas Day there aren't children on roller skates, which let's face it, was always good for a laugh.  I guess they're doing it indoors on the Wii these days.  And do they still make chemistry sets?  Or is that too much for Elfnsafety? There were some with the usual dolls, prams, Lego, selection box and new felt tip pen sets, but others looked on those unfortunates with scorn and pity.

Anyway, I did let them talk about stuff and I did get them to write about Christmas (with illustrations) and that was fine.  Assembly lasted more than a good half-hour.  I used to stress about long assemblies, complaining that I'd planned my lesson and now it was going to all messed up as there wasn't enough time left to do it properly, until an older and wiser teacher told me 'Why worry?  You're getting paid for sitting here listening to it'.  How true!  The shortest assemblies these days tend to be the ones I do...I must be incurring the wrath of several members of staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment